Sunday 20 April 2014

Online Bookmarking - Delicious and Scoop It





      In part one of my Integration of Information and Computer Technology in the Classroom course, I opened up a Delicious online bookmarking account, and book marked several links that connect to education and the classroom.  In a previous blog, I discussed the benefits of online bookmarking, including the ability to access your favorite sites from anywhere, explore topics of interest, and follow other users bookmarks likewise.  It's a great resource that have several classroom applications.

https://delicious.com/


      Recently, I opened up a Scoop It account, and began to curate some links for mathematics resources (and I've also just begun a page for language resources).  I found it easy to use and search for content that related to my topic.  One of the drawbacks that I noticed, were the number of links centred around Youtube videos.  While I found many videos useful for my classroom practices, it would be nice to see more links that include information and games that are applicable to the classroom.  I do find that Scoop It is well organized, in terms of one's ability to curate links under a wide range of topics, and without the use of hashtags to access saved links.

http://www.scoop.it/

      Both Scoop It and Delicious are useful bookmarking tools for the classroom.  This can come in handy for research purposes for students, when bookmarking links to source their information, using hashtags and key words to find appropriate articles, or even to access teacher articles tagged by the instructor for students to access.  I like the the organization of Scoop It more, with the curation of different topics for links, but I find Delicious has a greater variety of links when searching in its databases.  Both are useful to create pages and bundles of useful links for information, for both educator and student use.


No comments:

Post a Comment